Some of these recommendtions work best for Shmoocon in March vs Shmoocon in the cold of January.
Below is a map of the neighborhoods. The gold star is the Hilton hotel. When you hear someone reference a neighborhood, hopefully this helps. The most common ones you’ll probably hear are Adams Morgan (Admo), Dupont Circle (Dupont), U St, The Mall, and Capitol Hill.
- Dupont station is going to be closest and that’ll get you to the red line.
- You probably won’t need to take the Metro unless you’re heading to Amtrak or heading out to Virginia or DCA (Airport).
- Metrobus. This is the main bus system for DC. It’s heavily commuter focused. https://www.wmata.com/schedules/maps/.
- Your best bet to get to georgetown without walking. It comes frequently and it’s only $1.
- 14th St NW (between Logan Circle and U St)
- Wine bar
- Player’s Club
- Arcade bar
- Chicken & Whiskey
- Colada Shop
- Cuban & Cocktails
- U St
- Head towards the loud music near 801 Florida Ave NW, Washington, DC 20001
- You can’t really mess up just bar hoping hear
- Lots of rooftop areas
- I don’t go out hear a lot, but there’s some decent bars. You’re going to get a different group here - mix of college students and older DC residents
- The Navy Yard
- It’s a bit of a hike, but worth it imo. Good restaurants, bars, and you’re right on the water. Good for a nice Spring day.
- McClellans Reterat
- Board Room
- Board games!
- Dan’s Cafe
- Notorious for their pour your own drinks
- Jack Rose
- Barmini - expensive, reservation required, but so good
- Thai Chef Street Food - surprisingly good cocktails
- Residents dC - https://www.residentsdc.com/menus/#cocktail-menu thanks @jamieantisocial
- Anyone have other recommendations for ones near the hotel?
- Jack Rose
- Chicken & Whiskey (in the back behind the metal door)
- Left Door (Need a reservation I believe)
- The Gibson (Need a reservation I believe)
- U st (search around TAKODA)
- Lucky Buns (Long wait)
- Thai Chef Street Food
- My favorite Thai in the city
- Great cocktails
- Thai Chef Street Food (You maybe can tell I like this place)
- Sourcing recommendations
- DC is famous for their ethiopian, but I actually haven’t had it recently, so I’m sourcing recommendations
Late bites (nearby)
- Dc pizza & kabob
- El Tamarindo
- McDonalds (Admo)
- Andys (Admo)
- Foxtrot (like an upscale 7-11)
- Insomnia cookies - late night cookies
- Jenis - my favorite ice cream place
- Un je ne sais Quoi… - really good french bakery
- Bethesda bagel
- Ted’s Bulletin - alcoholic milkshakes and the homemade poptarts are the stars
Just Plain Good
- Iron Gate
- Jinya (ramen)
- Great Wall Szechuan. It’s the best. I won’t be debating this :)
- Dupont farmers market
- Call your mother bagels - best bagels in DC
- Fresh fruit
- Meridian Hill Park. This is a really nice park nearby. When the weather is nice, there’s a lot of people hanging out, dogs, music, etc.
- National Mall. Of course. Do your best to skip the food trucks. They’re generally not worth it.
- Rock Creek Park. This park can take you pretty far. https://www.alltrails.com/explore/us/washington-dc/washington?b_tl_lat=38.925643460593164&b_tl_lng=-77.0563698317884&b_br_lat=38.91909424386935&b_br_lng=-77.04043356221366